Home  |  Sport  |  Blackpool FC  |  Blackpool FC 2 Ipswich Town 0 - Match Report

Blackpool FC 2 Ipswich Town 0 - Match Report

by Thomas Anthony Wilson. Published Sat 10 Sep 2011 16:53
Blackpool marked Ian Holloway's 100th game in charge with a victory
Blackpool marked Ian Holloway's 100th game in charge with a victory

Blackpool marked their best start to a league season in 20 years as they comfortably swept aside a lacklustre Ipswich Town outfit at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders sealed victory through second half strikes from Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Barry Ferguson in manager Ian Holloway's 100th game in charge of the club.

Holloway's men had suffered a premature slump in form prior to the game - picking up only two points from their last three fixtures - but found it relatively easy against a side who rarely threatened Matt Gilks' goal all afternoon.

Matt Hill replaced Stephen Crainey at left-back (who was forced to withdraw through illness) in the Seasiders' only change since their 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace a fortnight ago.

The game immediately sprung into life when Michael Chopra had a shot blocked within 30 seconds, before Blackpool raced up the other end and saw Brett Ormerod's cross-shot saved by David Stockdale.

Chopra - who was facing Blackpool for the first time since featuring for Cardiff in their 2010 play-off final defeat - got into a great goal-scoring position in the fifth minute, but his shot was herocially blocked by Craig Cathcart.

The first clear-cut chance arrived on the quarter-hour mark, when Ormerod raced onto Billy Clarke's down-field pass, but the veteran forward could only rifle into the side-netting from 10 yards.

Two minutes later, Gary Taylor-Fletcher had a contentious penalty appeal waved away after being upended in the box by Carlos Edwards.

Ipswich briefly threatened when Ibrahima Sonko nodded Jimmy Bullard's inswinging corner narrowly wide in the 25th minute, but it was their only notable opportunity.

Kevin Phillips curled effort was spilled by Stockdale on the stroke of half time, but the former Fulham stopper gratefully retrieved the loose ball as it remained goalless.

Rain begun to drive down as the second period commenced and it signalled a change in fortune for the Seasiders, who broke the deadlock within three minutes of the restart.

Ormerod crossed to former Tractor Boy Clarke, who chested down and rolled the ball across goal for Taylor-Fletcher to tap home his second goal of the campaign.

Things got even better on the hour mark when Ormerod crossed for Barry Ferguson to side-foot home his first goal in tangerine colours from close-range.

Ipswich introduced strike-duo Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Jason Scotland in a vain attempt to get back into the game, and Daryl Murphy compounded Ipswich's misery when he scuffed horribly wide from point-blank range in the 83rd minute.

Alex Baptiste drew Stockdale into a fine save towards the finale, before Gilks was finally called into action to tip away Murphy's stinging drive in injury time.

It was a convincing win for Blackpool, who can now head into next week's tough home fixture against Cardiff with confidence sky high.

Add Click Blackpool on FACEBOOK at: http://facebook.com/ClickBlackpool (For all the latest news updates via your status feed)

You can also follow Click Blackpool on TWITTER at: http://twitter.com/ClickBlackpool

You can follow the editor at: http://twitter.com/Wilson_LAD


Post a comment

You have 140 characters left

Got a story?

Latest Sport

View more+